Fearing built the Town's first public library in 1869. Destroyed by fire
in 1879, the original building was replaced in 1880 by a wooden
structure in Hingham Center which served the Town until the current
building opened in 1966. The new facility, erected in Fearing's memory,
greatly enhanced the services the Library could provide.
This building was renovated and expanded in 2002. The Library now holds more than 165,977 books, magazines, videotapes, compact discs, and other materials. The Library also houses extensive print and electronic reference resources.
The Library is a member of the Old Colony Library Network, an automated resource-sharing network serving towns south of Boston. The Library also is a member of the Massachusetts Library System.
The Hingham Public Library serves a community of 22,157 people. In 2012, the Hingham Public Library celebrated the 140th anniversary of its incorporation in 1872. Board President David J. Mehegan provided these Commemoration Remarks (PDF) to celebrate the occasion.